Thursday, September 6, 2012

Mommy Revelation

There is a little copycat living in my house.  


This sweet, curly-haired, blue eyed, almost 2 year old girl follows me around and copies my every move.  

She watches when I put on my make up and wants to put some on too.  
When she sees me brush my teeth, she wants her teeth brushed.  
If I'm drinking water, she wants to drink water.  
If I sit on the floor she wants to sit on the floor too.  
She's right behind me (right under my heels to be exact) with every move I make.
I say things like "Let's see..." and so when we're at the grocery store it's likely you can hear Aubrey from 2-3 aisles over shouting "Let's see..." up and down every row.

It's funny.  It's sweet.  And sometimes it can even be a little bit annoying.

But just the other day I had a stark realization as to what exactly was happening. When she mimics me, it is more than just sweet.  It is more than funny.  It is so much more.  

Here's what happened-
I was standing in the kitchen and dropped something breakable.  I said, "Shoot!!" really loudly. I know-- who says 'Shoot' anymore? I'll tell you who- moms of toddlers.  

Aubrey came into the kitchen and started saying, "shoot, shoot, shoot" over and over again. At that moment, I became acutely aware of the fact that Aubrey is going to copy me-- good and bad.  At this impressionable age, I realize that my every move will mold her into the person she will soon become. She will do the things she sees me do.  She will treat people the way she sees me treat people. She will speak the way she hears me speak.  She will pray the way she sees me pray.  She will one day love her husband the way she sees me love her daddy. 

Wow-- that is some heavy stuff.

I always remember my mom telling me that you should only say sweet, kind things to your babies because they will become what you tell them they are.  That has always stuck with me.  I always try to tell Aubrey things like- You are a sweet girl.  You are very special.  God loves you.  You are so much fun.

I just hope she REALLY grows to believe those thing about herself and that I can truly be mindful of the responsibility I've been given to help mold her into person God wants her to be.  


No comments:

Post a Comment