Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Finished Bedskirt

Remember this post about progress on our shared girls room?  Doesn't the crib look sad without a bedskirt?



Well- this past weekend I finally finished the bedskirt AND a couple of pillow shams!

Finished bedskirt


Pillow shams for the big girl bed


To make the bedskirt project super easy I just made a single front panel (which is all you really need for our type of crib).  Because of how the turquoise fabric was printed on the bolt, it was only 44 inches wide.  So I needed to combine two 44'' x 10'' of turquoise with one 44'' x 10'' strip of pink.  I stitched them together to form one long strip, hemmed the bottom, and then gathered it to my desired length, which was about 52.5''.  I originally wanted to do layers of ruffles, but as I looked at how the length of the bedskirt would need to change over time as the crib is lowered I decided to do one long ruffle instead.

The bedskirt is tacked onto the mattress frame with binder clips :)  I'm hoping this will make it easy to adjust the length of the skirt as the mattress is lowered over time.

I used this tutorial for the pillow shams.  The measurements from this tutorial would have left me with a HUGE pillow sham!  Luckily I laid a pillow on top of my fabric to check it out for size before I began sewing.  I just trimmed the fabric down to an appropriate size before stitching everything together.


No comments:

Post a Comment