Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Getting Ready for Two

I"m finally making some progress on Aubrey and little sister's bedroom!!

Our goal is for them to share a room once little sister is sleeping through the night and we've dropped the 10-11pm feeding.  In preparation, we purchased a big girl bed for Aubrey a few weeks ago and transitioned her to her new bed this past week.  I was REALLY nervous about moving her to her big girl bed, but she has done so well with it!

Read about how we transitioned to the big girl bed here.


Ready for the first night in her big bed!


Now that Aubrey is in her big bed I've been able to finish up some things for the room and work on the crib.  I didn't want to spend a ton of money getting the room ready-- so I repurposed as much as I could and left it pretty simple.  I want the room to be fun and welcoming for them, a great place to play and catch some zzz's.    It doesn't need to wow anybody besides my two little girls :)

Here's an update on progress:
I have organized the closet and dresser to accommodate baby clothes and big girl clothes.  All of the newborn-3mo clothes are washed and ready.  I have all other clothes stored away for easy access in bags labeled 6 mo, 9 mo, 12 mo, etc..

I made a sweet hair bow holder using an ugly gold frame I picked up at a yard sale for $1 almost a year ago.



I finished up the bumper pads for the crib and am really pleased with how they turned out!  Big thanks to my mom for helping me get all the fabric!



I repurposed the bumper pad forms from Aubrey's old bumper to make the new ones.  I ripped the fabric off (because it was a dark, bold print I was afraid might show through the new fabric) and just stuffed the forms into the new bumper sleeves.  I saved the other fabric- you never know when it will come in handy!

If I had it to do over again, I would take the extra time and sew piping along the edges of each pad.   It would give them an extra touch and make them look more professional.  These were really easy to make-- the longest part was measuring and cutting the fabric.




I raised the mattress on the crib so it's ready for tiny baby!  I still need to sew a couple of crib sheets and a crib skirt.

I'm thinking I'll do the crib skirt with the pink polka dot fabric (or maybe a combo of pink and turquoise) and use the lime green to make fitted crib sheets. 



A bigger look at the room- big girl bed and the crib.



Right now Aubrey's bed just has a fitted sheet and a fleece blanket.  I'll do a bedskirt for Aubrey's bed out of the lime green and make pillow shams using mostly the turquoise fabric (with a lime green or pink ruffle). 

My plan is to make a duvet for the big bed using the matching flat sheet (pink polka dot) but probably won't do that until she gets a bit bigger or until it gets colder. She doesn't sleep under the covers and always ends up with her head at the foot of the bed.

Most of the inspiration, fabric and tutorials I used are on my Shared Room pinterest board

Aside from the bedskirts, pillow shams and a couple of decorative pillows-- I think I just need to hang a few prints I got on Etsy, make a place for all of Aubrey's books, and we're ready to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment