Friday, August 10, 2012

Sewing Mania

I have been sewing like a crazy person lately.  It has been so nice to put Aubrey to bed and then sew while Weston and I watch the Olympics.

I had a terrible sewing day where I basically botched almost everything I tried. After a little sewing break, and maybe a few tears, I have been able to successfully complete a few projects!  My confidence is back!  Sometimes you have to step away from the sewing machine and repeat several times this saying, "My seam ripper is my friend.  My seam ripper is my friend."

Here's what I've been able to accomplish over the past 2 weeks.

Skinny leg maternity jeans
I took a frumpy, old pair of jeans I never wore and converted them to skinny leg maternity jeans. I followed this skinny jean tutorial to make the legs "skinny" and then followed this maternity jean tutorial to make room for my ever-growing belly.  Great success!

New dress and headband for Aubrey


I absolutely LOVE this fabric- a remnant fabric find at JoAnn's! I originally used this fabric to make this sweet sunsuit  friend's little girl.  With the little bit I had left over, I was able to make this sweet dress and matching headband for Aubrey. 

Pajama pants


Aubrey desperately needed some bigger pj pants and this tutorial seemed easy enough to follow.  I think I bought this fabric to make throw pillows for Aubrey's room, but the cotton is really soft and it made perfect pj pants.  I plan to make more of these using some old tshirts!

NOTE:  If you want to give this a try, make sure you measure how long the crotch seam needs to be to accommodate a sweet diapered bottom. I had to make two different pj pants before I got my pattern right.  I should have just measured in the beginning, and then added 1 1/2 - 2 inches for the elastic casing.  


Window Valances

Inspired by this no sew tutorial and a $9 clearance shower curtain from Dillards I was able to make some valances for our naked guest room windows.  I'm not a huge fan of window valances, but they'll do for now. I went ahead and used my sewing machine to hem the fabric and make the rod pocket.

New Throw Pillow



I used a grey duck cloth and left over fabric from my valances to make this cute little throw pillow!  I learned how to do the ladder stitch to close my pillows!


No comments:

Post a Comment