Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Saying Goodbye

When the husband and I were first dating I would usually poke fun at him for listening to these silly "old folks" shows on NPR.  But then, while on a little roadtrip, we cruised along listening to what became three of my favorite NPR shows:
Now I'm officially an NPR nerd, loving ALL THINGS NPR with the exception of what seems like a monthly pledge drive. The pledge drive is likely the only time my radio finds its way to any other station on the dial. 


With all that being said, I was really sad to hear that the guys from Car Talk will produce their last show and then hang up their hats.  I don't know the first thing about cars, nor do I really care so long as the car is in fine working order.  But I just love this show.  


The goofy brotherly hosts, Tom (age 74) and Ray (age 63) Magliozzi- also know as "Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers"- are simply hilarious.  They seem to know everything there is to know about cars, they tell funny jokes, conjure up a weekly riddle or puzzle and endlessly give each other a hard time. If I'm driving around in my car with a big smile on my face I very well may be listening to Car Talk.


You can listen to a little snippet of the show here.


My favorite part of the show is the funny credits they run at the end of each episode.  As any good NPR show will do, they run through a list of "staffers" that work extremely hard to put the show together.  I kid of course....


Here's an example of some of their "staffers" From the Car Talk Wikipedia page:
" Car Talk Statistician "Marge Innovera ("margin of error"), customer care representative Haywood Jabuzoff ("Hey, would you buzz off"), meteorologist Claudio Vernight ("cloudy overnight"), optometry firm C.F. Eye Care ("see if I care"), Russian chauffeur Pikov Andropov ("pick up and drop off")... and law firm Dewey, Cheetham and Howe ("Do we cheat 'em and how")."


So, I'm sad that they're producing their last show.  But then again, these guys are old so they've earned the right to retire and relax.  If you haven't listened to Car Talk before, you can listen online on the NPR site or also on iTunes (I would imagine).  Do yourself a favor and let these funny little radio hosts put a smile on your face.  Then you need to listen to the other two shows I also mentioned above!


Goodbye Car Talk :(

No comments:

Post a Comment