Saturday, May 26, 2012

Sewing

At long last I have discovered a hobby- something that I love!  I initially wanted my new hobby to be photography, but I'm terrible at taking pictures.  So on to the next thing....

This past November (2011) I decided to take up sewing.  It all started with a hunt for the perfect Christmas stockings.  I couldn't find anything I liked so I decided, "Well, I guess I'll just make some."  I bought this cute little sewing machine on Amazon, watched LOTS of youtube videos and got to work on my stockings.



 The "Lil' Sew & Sew"

I was really pleased with the final product-- after all, I didn't know the first thing about sewing and this was my very first project.

Christmas Stockings

Rumor got around that I had been sewing and Weston's parents gave me a sewing machine for Christmas.   I'll have to admit that the big fancy machine was REALLY intimidating compared to the Lil' Sew & Sew.  But I got used to it and have been sewing and monogramming like a mad woman ever since.

To date I have:
Sewn the curtains in our living room out of painter's drop cloth
Helped a friend sew almost 40 burlap pillows for her wedding
Made several pocket squares for Weston
Helped the ladies at the church sew little pillows and positioning tubes for babies in the NICU
Created pillows for my office
Monogrammed dinner napkins for a wedding gift
And have started making dresses for Aubrey (and a few of her cousins)


Teeny Tiny Valentines Day Pillow for the NICU Babies 





Today the Lil' Sew & Sew will go to a new home and I hope the new owner (my college roommate) will  discover a love for sewing as I have.  I still have much to learn- and I look forward to it!

Lindsay

2 comments:

  1. Yay!! I can't wait to get started. My desire to learn how to sew was sparked by my inability to find curtains that I like for my kitchen. By the way, Your projects seem so professional to me. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally found a box to ship this thing in-- a diaper box of course! It will be on its way in no time.

    ReplyDelete